Winter be gone!
- 4 cups chick peas, cooked (canned works)
- 1 tbsp. oil
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup canned ground or crushed tomatoes, unsalted
- 1.5-2 tbsp. Madras Masala, to taste*
- *Allspice and Cumin: Combine 4 parts ground cumin with 1 part allspice, for an easy substitute for masala when you’re in a hurry.
- 1-2 tsp. sugar, to taste (optional)
- 1.5 cup water (I used 2 cups and it was much too thin)
- 1/2 tsp. sea salt, or salt to taste
- 4 tbsp. cilantro, finely chopped, to garnish (optional)
- 1 tsp. Garam Masala, to garnish (optional)
Directions: Rinse chickpeas and drain. Set aside. In a medium-sized pan, heat oil on medium-high heat and add in chopped onions. Add ground/crushed tomatoes and cook for one minute. Add Madras Masala spice to make a paste (or you can make your own from scratch). Fry paste for a couple of minutes. Stir in cooked chickpeas and add water to make a consistent sauce. Add salt and sugar to taste. Cover and simmer for 10 minutes. Serve with basmati rice (optional). Serves 4.